Sunday, October 10, 2010

Boating

Water skiing has always been a favorite activity for my Dad's side of my family. Since he was very young, my Dad could water ski. Water skiing was sort of like a rite of passage, if you were and Oldham, you needed to learn how to water ski. My grandpa had a blue ski boat with and outboard motor that we still use today. My Aunts and Uncles kept their skills from when they are young and can still ski just as well today! My grandpa and Grandma still ski too, and they are almost in their 70's! One of my grandpa's coolest tricks is to put his foot in the rope while skiing, this leaves him with his hands in the air, and only one foot on his ski!

Now, even though I'm not as good of a skier as my grandpa, I can still slalom ski with ease. During the summer, I am lucky enough to go to Willard Bay often to ski in the greenish-gray waters. My family and I have an awesome time. We eat a yummy picnic and then get in the boat to go water ski. Some of the best times I've had with my family is when we go water skiing.

But sometimes, everything doesn't go as planned. Sometimes our 30 year old boat doesn't want to start, delaying our fin time out on the lake. But luckily my family has some really smart people in it who know a lot about mechanics. And most of the time, after many unflattering sounds from the boat,  the motor finally roars into life, provoking many cheers from the waiting water skiers.


 I love water skiing, but something that's just as much fun is tubing. When my family goes tubing,  the only aim of the boat driver is to get the tube rider thrown of the tube. Many times, my uncle with go very fast over some really big waves, and the tube and its rider will go flying into the air. And if you hang on, you're sure to get some cheers from the spectators in the boat.

 Sometimes, my family also likes to wake board, I think that skiing and tubing are superior to wake boarding, but it can be fun all the same. Maybe  the reason I don't like to wake board is because I have a hard time doing my double back flips (just kidding). Actually, I am not really the best at staying on a wake board, I've had some pretty bad fails riding on a wake board.

 Part of the fun in boating is just sitting in the boat and watching the tuber or skier, perform some amazing stunts, or wipe out at high speeds. One time, my uncles were all trying to do a back flip on a wake board. It was very entertaining to watch them crash land headfirst into water going 35 miles per hour.

Boating is way awesome, I love spending time with my family, playing some really fun sports, and cooling of on a hot day. And nothing beats the feeling of skiing of into the sunset on water that is so calm it looks like glass.


Yes! Five hundred and thirty two words!! I can't believe I did that much in such a short time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment