Sunday, May 29, 2011

Vietnam War Questions For my Grandpa


            My Grandpa Oldham flew F-4s over Vietnam during the war. I asked him the following questions on May 15, 2011. The answers are in bold.


  1. What is your opinion of the My Lai Massacre?
            It was a violation of USA standards on noncombatant civilians. It is comparable to the mountain meadows massacre.

  1. How did you feel about the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution of Aug. 7, 1964?
            I believe it was a phony, trumped up charge. It allowed American intervention based on non-real things.

  1. How were you involved in the Tet offensive?
             I wasn’t involved in the Tet Offensive.

  1. What was your opinion on the American war protests?
            They undermined the position of agreement from USA. They lost sight of the fact that injustice had been done. I have no respect for these protestors.

  1. What was your most dangerous mission in Vietnam?
            My first mission when I was flying my F-4 in Laos over the Ho-Chi- Minh Trail. A 37 millimeter bullet when over my canopy, it was so close I could have touched it.

Learning about the Vietnam War in my Geography class has opened my eyes to a conflict that I usually don't think much about. I think it is sad that I can forget about such a sad thing happening. I am grateful to come to knowledge about the many brave men that fought and sometimes died to help another nation. I am also very blessed to have my grandpa survive such a war unscathed and come home to raise my father.



No comments:

Post a Comment