Sunday, May 29, 2011

Saving Money

Previously, I had no desire to spend money. I saw money as something that I earned from my many lawns that I mowed. I kept almost a thousand dollars in a shoe box in my cupboard, the dust collecting on the money until I had a rare chance to use it.

            Now, everything has, unfortunately, changed. With my new job at Cherry Hill combined with the lawns that I mow, I am making a substantial amount of money (in my terms, at least.). This money sits in the same old shoebox, but I find myself more prone to wanting to purchase things that I probably don’t need.

            One of the things that I know this challenge is good for is the way it teaches me to save for my mission and my college education. My Mom has taught me the principle of paying my 10% tithing to the church first, then save all but the last 10 percent to save.  As much as I want to give in and buy something, I know that the saving will bring me even greater joy in the future.

            Mostly, the things I want are what most boys my age like. I would like to buy all sorts of cool basketball shoes, soccer cleats, shirts, and other sports related material off of the internet. I could spend the whole day customizing shoes on NikeID(http://nikeid.nike.com/nikeid/?sitesrc=uslp). Or I could spend all my money on itunes gift cards and buy music until I could listen to different songs continually for a thousand years.

            Although my habits and wants have changed with me becoming more independent. I hope I can concentrate on making the right decision of saving my money

No comments:

Post a Comment