Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Letters About Literature Entry


Dear Mr. Potok,

             When I was first assigned to read The Chosen, I was somewhat skeptical about reading about two Jewish boys growing up in New York City.  However, after finishing the novel, my opinions are different from what they were before I read the book.  While turning the pages, I found many similarities between the characters and myself.  It also helped me understand more the meaning of true friendship and sacrifice.

             My family and I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, as did many of my ancestors.  Where I live, the majority of people are of the same faith.  With so many good people, I am blessed with a great community. But elsewhere, there are many misconceptions about the Mormon faith.  Too many people in the world think that we are not Christian, or that we practice polygamy.  Both of these things are not true. While reading the chosen I found that Danny and I lived in similar conditions.  He lived in a family strong in their church, a church that is misunderstood worldwide.  He and I are also alike in that we are under a ton of pressure to follow the ways of our own religion.  If I were to chose to not to be a Mormon anymore, it would bring a lot of heartbreak to my family.  I love my religion and have a strong testimony of it, just like Danny and Reuven.

One thing that I have always liked to do is read to learn more about the world around me.  I enjoy reading material such as encyclopedias and atlases.  I found that Danny and I liked the same things.  I think it would be super fun to sit down with him and talk.

            While reading The Chosen, I understood more things about friendship than I had before.  I have some great friends that at one point in time I didn’t know very well; I have friends that I even once disliked.  The Chosen helped me feel more grateful for these friends and for friendship in general.  But then, when I read the ending of the book when Danny and Reuven have a parting of the ways, it left me with a lot to think about.  When I grow up I realize that some of my friends now might be too cool for me and pretend that they don’t know me.  This will be sad, but it will also bring new opportunities for me to make new friends.  It’s also sad how choices can break up a friendship.  If one of my friends started to do drugs or alcohol I wouldn’t want to be very good friends with him anymore.  I would still be nice to him, but if I kept hanging out with him, I might get into situations that I wouldn’t want to be in.  These are the reasons why I want to create great friendships now that I can keep forever.

            Thank you, Mr. Potok, for writing a great book that helped me not only understand more about the world around me, but about myself.

Sincerely,

                        J.R. Oldham 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment