Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Sister, Jimmer, and the Beginning of Fourth Term


            These past few weeks have been pretty eventful. My sister won her pageant, BYU made it to the sweet sixteen, and the school year is almost over.

My sister has been involved in quite a few pageants in her lifetime. She has done the local and state ones since ninth grade. She is great at a lot of the things they do during the pageants, like her talent, playing the violin. She has played the instrument her whole life so she is amazing at it. She played a song called Czardas at this pageant recently. It was a gypsy kind of feel song. The fast parts are way fun, but there is also a slow part which is pretty too. Another thing she is good at is the interview and the scholastic competitions. She won in both of these categories, owing to the fact that her grades are very good and she is also very talented at talking to people in an interview setting. This pageant recently was Utah’s Distinguished Young Women. It was the Utah’s Junior Miss Pageant, but they changed the name. Anyway, my sister won this pageant, which was pretty amazing. She won a lot of scholarship money, so that is great for her. Plus she gets to go to Mobile, Alabama in the summer to compete in the national competition.

            A word that has been on a lot of people’s tongues lately is Jimmer. Jimmer can be a noun, an adjective, a verb, a pronoun, or an adverb. People cannot get enough of this basketball star. Jimmer Fredette was BYU’s star point guard. He was the arguably the best scorer in the NCAA, and was amazing at hitting his signature long range shots from well beyond the three point line, sometimes at 30 feet from the basket. This year he took BYU to the sweet sixteen. After making it to this round, BYU played Florida, who they lost to in overtime. This was sad but not as sad as the fact that this was Jimmer’s last year at BYU. Sadly, The Jimmer Era is over.

            As third term ended, I was completely swamped with assignments and tests. But now that the term is over, it looks like a pretty easy ride for the rest of the year. In my English class we wrote in our journals about what we thought about almost being done with Junior High, which got me thinking about how fast three years can go. When you’re in school, you think it will never end, but in reality, the time is going by terribly fast. With one term left to go with my experience at Fairfield, I am feeling exited but sad that I am growing up so fast. I have already applied for a job at Cherry Hill this summer, which is another reason to be scared that I am growing up too fast. Pretty soon I’ll be graduating from High School and going off to college. Hopefully in these next few years I can do everything I can to make the time go by slower and make the time more meaningful to me in the long run.


           

No comments:

Post a Comment